This chapter describes methods in the plug-in API that are available from the browser. The names of all of these methods begin with
NPN_ to indicate that they are implemented by the browser and called by the plug-in. For an overview of how these two sides of the plug-in API interact, see the How Plug-ins Work and Overview of Plug-in Structure sections in the introduction.
Netscape Plug-in Method Summary
- Closes and deletes a stream.
- Forces a paint message for a windowless plug-in.
- This function is called by plug-ins to get HTTP authentication information from the browser.
- Asks the browser to create a stream for the specified URL.
- Requests creation of a new stream with the contents of the specified URL; gets notification of the result.
- Allows the plug-in to query the browser for information.
- Provides information to a plug-in which is associated with a given URL, for example the cookies or preferred proxy.
- Invalidates specified drawing area prior to repainting or refreshing a windowless plug-in.
- Invalidates specified drawing region prior to repainting or refreshing a windowless plug-in.
- Allocates memory from the browser's memory space.
- Requests that the browser free a specified amount of memory.
- Deallocates a block of allocated memory.
- Requests the creation of a new data stream produced by the plug-in and consumed by the browser.
- Thread-safe way to request that the browser calls a plug-in function on the browser or plug-in thread (the thread on which the plug-in was initiated).
- Pops the popups-enabled state.
- Posts data to a URL.
- Posts data to a URL, and receives notification of the result.
- Pushes the popups-enabled state.
- Reloads all plug-ins in the Plugins directory.
- Requests a range of bytes for a seekable stream.
- Sets windowless plug-in as transparent or opaque.
- Allows a plug-in to change the stored information associated with a URL, in particular its cookies.
- Displays a message on the status line of the browser window.
- Returns the browser's user agent field.
- Returns version information for the Plug-in API.
- Pushes data into a stream produced by the plug-in and consumed by the browser.