Added in HTML5, the HTML
Mozilla applications gained support for
<canvas> starting with Gecko 1.8 (i.e. Firefox 1.5). The element was originally introduced by Apple for the OS X Dashboard and Safari. Internet Explorer supports
<canvas> from version 9 onwards; for earlier versions of IE, a page can effectively add support for
<canvas> by including a script from Google's Explorer Canvas project. Google Chrome and Opera 9 also support
<canvas> element is also used by WebGL to do hardware-accelerated 3D graphics on web pages.
<canvas id="myCanvas" width="200" height="100" style="border:1px solid #000000;"> </canvas>
var c = document.getElementById("myCanvas"); var ctx = c.getContext("2d"); ctx.fillStyle = "#FF0000"; ctx.fillRect(0,0,150,75);
The interfaces related to the
WebGLRenderingContext are referenced under WebGL.
CanvasPathMethods abstracts the path-related methods and properties used by both
Path. For the moment, no browser implements
Path (see bug 830734) and the spec is still in flux.
CanvasDrawingStyles abstracts the style-related methods and properties used by both
Guides and tutorials
- Canvas tutorial
A comprehensive tutorial covering both the basic usage of
<canvas>and its advanced features.
- Code snippets:Canvas
Some extension developer-oriented code snippets involving
- Canvas examples
- Drawing DOM objects into a canvas
- How to draw DOM content, such as HTML elements, into a canvas.
- A basic raycaster
- A demo of ray-tracing animation using canvas.
- Drawing graphics with canvas
- An older introductory page to the canvas, mostly superceded by the Canvas tutorial.
- Fabric.js is an open-source canvas library with SVG parsing capabilities
- Kinetic.js is an open-source canvas library focused on interactivity for desktop and mobile applications
- Paper.js is an open source vector graphics scripting framework that runs on top of the HTML5 Canvas
- libCanvas is powerful and lightweight canvas framework
- Processing.js is a port of the Processing visualization language
- EaselJS is a library with a Flash-like API
- PlotKit is a charting and graphing library
- Rekapi is an animation keyframing API for Canvas
- PhiloGL is a WebGL framework for data visualization, creative coding and game development.
- Frame-Engine is a framework for developping applications and games
|WHATWG HTML Living Standard||Living Standard|