Firefox 51 for developers
To test the latest developer features of Firefox,
install Firefox Developer EditionFirefox 51 was released on January 24, 2017. This article lists key changes that are useful not only for web developers, but also Firefox and Gecko developers as well as add-on developers.
:indeterminatefor <input type="radio"> (bug 885359).
<input type="text">(bug 1069015).
::placeholderpseudo-element is now unprefixed (bug 1069012).
- Fixed the
:validCSS pseudo-class which didn't match valid
<form>elements (bug 1285425).
unicode-bidinow also works with vertical writing modes (bug 1302734).
clip-pathare now properly supported; previously, they were aliases of
- Clamp flex line's height (clamping stretched flex items), in single-line auto-height flex container w/ max-height (spec change) (bug 1000957).
- The ES2015
Symbol.toStringTagproperty has been implemented (bug 1114580).
- The ES2015
TypedArray.prototype.toLocaleString()methods have been implemented (bug 1121938).
DateTimeFormat.prototype.formatToParts()method is now available (bug 1289340).
letare now fully ES2015-compliant (bug 950547).
for...ofloops now has a fresh binding for each iteration and no longer throws a
- The deprecated for each...in loop now presents a warning in the console (bug 1293205). Please migrate your code to use the standardized
- Generator functions can't have a label anymore and "
let" as a label name is disallowed now (bug 1288459).
- Deprecated legacy generator functions will now throw when used in method definitions (bug 1199296).
next()method of the iterator protocol will now throw a
TypeErrorif the returned value is not an object (bug 1016936).
- Child-indexed pseudo-class selectors should match without a parent (bug 1300374).
- WebGL 2 is now enabled by default. See webglsamples.org/WebGL2Samples for a few demos.
- WebGL 2 provides the
WebGL2RenderingContextinterface that brings OpenGL ES 3.0 to the
- New features include:
- WebGL 2 provides the
WEBGL_compressed_texture_es3extension (implemented in Firefox 46) has been renamed to
WEBGL_compressed_texture_etc(bug 1316778) and is no longer included by default in WebGL 2 contexts (bug 1306174).
EXT_disjoint_timer_queryextension has been updated to use
WebGLQueryobjects instead of
WebGLTimerQueryobjects (bug 1308057).
OES_vertex_array_objectextension now uses the WebGL 2
WebGLVertexArrayObjectobject instead of its own
WebGLVertexArrayObjectOESobject (bug 1318523).
- You can now use
ImageBitmapobjects as a sources for texture images in methods like
- IndexedDB version 2 implementation is now complete:
tabindexattribute (bug 778654).
hrefattribute, which renders
xlink:hrefobsolete (bug 1245751).
- You can now use custom data attributes on SVG elements through the
SVGElement.datasetproperty and the
data-*set of SVG attributes (bug 921834).
- CSS Animations used in an SVG image which is presented in an
<img>element now work again; this was an old regression (bug 1190881).
- Scripts served with an
text/csvMIME type are now blocked and are not loaded or executed. This happen when they are declared using
<script>, or loaded via
SharedWorker()(bug 1229267 and bug 1288361).
- Support for SHA-1 certificates from publicly-trusted certificate authorities has been removed (bug 1302140). See also Phasing Out SHA-1 on the Public Web for more information.
- New WoSign and StartCom certificates will no longer be accepted (bug 1309707), see Distrusting New WoSign and StartCom Certificates for more information.
FindProxyForURL(url, host)function now strips paths and queries from https:// URLs to avoid information leakage (see bug 1255474, Sniffing HTTPS URLS with malicious PAC files, or
XMLHttpRequest.responseXMLproperty no longer returns a partial
Documentwith a <parsererror> node placed at the top when a parse error occurs attempting to interpret the received data. Instead, it correctly returns
- To match the latest specification an
Acceptheader set with
setRequestHeader()is now sent with such a header, with its value set to
XMLHttpRequest.open()so that, when omitted, the
passwordparameters now default to
null, per the specification (bug 933759).
RTCPeerConnection.removeStream()method has been removed. It was deprecated back in Firefox 22, and has been throwing a
NotSupportedErrorfor a long time. You need to use
RTCPeerConnection.removeTrack()instead, for each track on the stream.
- WebRTC now supports the VP9 codec by default. When added in Firefox 46, VP9 was disabled by default, but when enabled was the preferred codec; however, it has been moved to be the second choice (after VP8) due to its current level of CPU usage.
- The method
HTMLMediaElement.captureStream(), which returns a
MediaStreamcontaining the content of the specified
<audio>. It's worth noting that this is prefixed still as
mozCaptureStream(), and that it doesn't yet exactly match the spec.
- Added FLAC support (FLAC codec) in both FLAC and Ogg containers (bug 1195723). Supported FLAC MIME types are:
audio/x-flac. For FLAC in Ogg, supported MIME types are:
audio/ogg; codecs=flac, and
- Added support for FLAC in MP4 (both with and without MSE) (bug 1303888).
- Throttling in background tabs of timers created by
Window.setTimeout()was changed in Firefox 50 to no longer occur if a Web Audio API
AudioContextis actively playing sound. However, this didn't resolve all scenarios in which timing-sensitive audio playback (such as music players generating individual notes using timers) could fail to work properly. For that reason, Firefox 51 no longer throttles background tabs which have an
AudioContext, even if it's not currently playing sound.
truein all cases (bug 984778).
selectionEndnow correctly return the current position of the text input cursor when there's no selection, instead of returning 0 (bug 1287655).
HTMLImageElementinterface and the corresponding
<img>element now support the
onerrorevent handler, sending
errorevents to the element whenever errors occur attempting to load or interpret images.
- You can now change a Web
Animation's effect by setting the value of its
effectproperty. Previously, this property was read-only (bug 1049975).
- The Permissions API method
Permissions.revoke()has been put behind a preference (
dom.permissions.revoke.enable) and disabled by default since its design and even its very existence is under discussion in the Web Application Security Working Group.
- The Storage API's
StorageManager.estimate()method have been implemented along with the needed supporting code. Storage unit persistence features are not yet implemented. See bug 1267941.
- For privacy reasons, both
BatteryManager.dischargingTimenow round the returned value to the closest 15 minutes (bug 1292655).
- The non-standard Simple Push API, mainly intended for use with Firefox OS and now superseded by the W3C Push API, has been completely removed from Gecko (bug 1296579).
- The non-standard Alarms API, mainly intended for use with Firefox OS, has been completely removed from Gecko (bug 1300884).
- Support for prefixes in the Page Visibility API has been removed (bug 812701).
- New APIs:
- You can now embed a WebExtension in a legacy add-on type (bug 1252215).
- Clipboard access is now supported (bug 1197451)
- The arguments passed to the callback of
tabs.executeScript()have been fixed (bug 1290157)
- localStorage is now cleared when a WebExtension is uninstalled (bug 1213990)
- A changed
Content-Typeheader in Web Extensions is now taken into account (bug 1304331)
install.rdfmust now be explicitly set to
falseto prevent multiprocess from being enabled in Firefox when the add-on is installed.
- The Mozilla-specific Social API has been substantially changed (largely to remove APIs no longer used), as follows:
MozSocialinterface and the
navigator.mozSocialproperty which supports it have been removed.
- The Social Bookmarks API has been removed.
- The Social chat functionality has been removed.
- The Social Status API has been removed.
- All of the social widgets, except for the Share panel, have been removed. This includes the social sidebar, flyover panels, and so forth.
- All supporting user interface features and functionality for the removed APIs have been removed as well.
- Social service provider manifest properties supporting the removed functionality are no longer supported.
- If an add-on uses
mimeTypes.rdfto provide a file extension to MIME type mapping, it must now register an entry in the
"ext-to-type-mapping"category (bug 306471).
- The Browser API now includes a
detailobject on the event object of the
mozbrowserlocationchangeevent that contains
canGoBackproperties, allowing retrieval of the mozBrowser's back/forward status synchronously (bug 1279635).
- Firefox 50 for developers
- Firefox 49 for developers
- Firefox 48 for developers
- Firefox 47 for developers
- Firefox 46 for developers
- Firefox 45 for developers
- Firefox 44 for developers
- Firefox 43 for developers
- Firefox 42 for developers
- Firefox 41 for developers
- Firefox 40 for developers
- Firefox 39 for developers
- Firefox 38 for developers
- Firefox 37 for developers
- Firefox 36 for developers
- Firefox 35 for developers
- Firefox 34 for developers
- Firefox 33 for developers
- Firefox 32 for developers
- Firefox 31 for developers
- Firefox 30 for developers
- Firefox 29 for developers
- Firefox 28 for developers
- Firefox 27 for developers
- Firefox 26 for developers
- Firefox 25 for developers
- Firefox 24 for developers
- Firefox 23 for developers
- Firefox 22 for developers
- Firefox 21 for developers
- Firefox 20 for developers