The open nature of the World Wide Web presents incredible opportunities for people who want to create websites or online applications. To take full advantage of the web's capabilities, you need to know how to use them. Explore the links below to learn more about various web technologies.
- HyperText Markup Language (HTML) is used to describe and define the content of a webpage.
- Cascading Style Sheets (CSS) are used to describe the appearance or presentation of content on a webpage.
- Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) is used to deliver HTML and other hypermedia documents on the web.
- Web APIs
- Web Application Programming Interfaces (Web APIs) are used to perform a variety of tasks, such as manipulating the DOM, playing audio or video, or generating 3D graphics.
- The Web API interface reference lists all the object types you can use while developing for the web.
- The WebAPI page lists all the communication, hardware access, and other APIs you can use in web applications.
- The Event reference lists all the events you can use to track and react to interesting things that have taken place in your webpage or application.
- Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) let you describe images as sets of vectors (lines) and shapes. One advantage of SVGs is that they scale smoothly regardless of the size at which they're drawn.
Audio, video, and multimedia
- Web media technologies
- A list of media-related APIs with links to the documentation you'll need for each.
- Overview of media technology on the web
- A general look at the open web technologies and APIs that provide support for audio and video playback, manipulation, and recording. If you're not sure which API you should use, this is the place to start.
- Media Capture and Streams API
- A reference for the API which makes it possible to stream, record, and manipulate media both locally and across a network. This includes using local cameras and microphones to capture video, audio, and still images.
- Mathematical Markup Language (MathML) lets you display complex mathematical equations and syntax.
- Learning web development
- This set of articles provides beginners with everything they need to start coding simple websites.
- Developing web applications
- This set of articles explains the techniques used in developing web apps for mobile, desktop, and Firefox OS environments.
- Accessible websites enable as many people as possible to use the web, including those whose visual, auditory, or other abilities are limited in some way. This set of articles provides information about accessible web development.
- Don't let your website or app leak private data to the bad guys. Use this set of articles to make sure your projects are secure.