This module provides information about your extension and the environment it's running in.
It also provides messaging APIs enabling you to:
- Communicate between different parts of your extension.
- Communicate with other extensions.
- Communicate with native applications.
- Represents one end of a connection between two specific contexts, which can be used to exchange messages.
Contains information about the sender of a message or connection request.
- Identifies the browser's operating system.
- Identifies the browser's processor architecture.
- Contains information about the platform the browser is running on.
- Result of a call to
- The reason that the
runtime.onInstalledevent is being dispatched.
- The reason that the
runtime.onRestartRequiredevent is being dispatched.
- This value is set when an asynchronous function has an error condition that it needs to report to its caller.
- The ID of the extension.
- Retrieves the Window object for the background page running inside the current extension.
Opens your extension's options page.
- Gets the complete manifest.json file, serialized as an object.
- Given a relative path from the manifest.json to a resource packaged with the extension, returns a fully-qualified URL.
- Sets a URL to be visited when the extension is uninstalled.
- Reloads the extension.
- Checks for updates to this extension.
- Establishes a connection from a content script to the main extension process, or from one extension to a different extension.
Connects the extension to a native application on the user's computer.
- Sends a single message to event listeners within your extension or a different extension. Similar to
runtime.connectbut only sends a single message, with an optional response.
- Sends a single message from an extension to a native application.
- Returns information about the current platform.
- Returns information about the browser in which this extension is installed.
- Returns a DirectoryEntry for the package directory.
- Fired when a profile that has this extension installed first starts up. This event is not fired when an incognito profile is started.
- Fired when the extension is first installed, when the extension is updated to a new version, and when the browser is updated to a new version.
- Sent to the event page just before the extension is unloaded. This gives the extension an opportunity to do some cleanup.
- Sent after
runtime.onSuspendto indicate that the extension won't be unloaded after all.
- Fired when an update is available, but isn't installed immediately because the extension is currently running.
- Fired when an update for the browser is available, but isn't installed immediately because a browser restart is required.
- Fired when a connection is made with either an extension process or a content script.
- Fired when a connection is made with another extension.
- Fired when a message is sent from either an extension process or a content script.
- Fired when a message is sent from another extension. Cannot be used in a content script.
- Fired when the device needs to be restarted.
|Chrome||Edge||Firefox||Firefox for Android||Opera|
|26 *||(Yes) *||45 *||48 *||15 *|
|(Yes)||No||45 *||48 *||(Yes)|
|26 *||15 *||45 *||48 *||15 *|
|(Yes) *||(Yes)||47||48||(Yes) *|
|22||(Yes)||52 *||52 *||15|
Microsoft Edge compatibility data is supplied by Microsoft Corporation and is included here under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
// Copyright 2015 The Chromium Authors. All rights reserved. // // Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without // modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are // met: // // * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright // notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. // * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above // copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer // in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the // distribution. // * Neither the name of Google Inc. nor the names of its // contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from // this software without specific prior written permission. // // THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS // "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT // LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR // A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT // OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, // SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT // LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, // DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY // THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT // (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE // OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.