Learn how to create modern web apps using the latest web technologies and ideas — web apps that will have super powers in the latest modern browsers, but still provide an acceptable user experience in less able browsers.
Modern app techniques
- Progressive web apps
- Progressive web apps involve taking standard web sites/apps that enjoy all the best parts of the Web — such as discoverability via search engines, being linkable via URLs, and working across multiple form factors — and supercharging them with modern APIs (such as Service Workers and Push) and features that confer other benefits more commonly attributed to native apps.
The guides listed below cover common areas of functionality that you'll want to cover/implement in web apps. Each page includes workflows, tutorials, references, examples, and other useful information.
- Basic data flow
- Setting up the data flow through your application, HTTP basics, Ajax.
- Modern web app architecture
- A basic introduction to modern web app architecture and development: MVC, frameworks, and so on.
- Gather and modify data
- Retrieving data from files, device hardware (e.g., battery, proximity, light sensor), and key services (e.g., camera, contacts).
- User notifications
- System notifications, alarms, vibration.
- Implement user input and control mechanisms
- Mouse, keyboard, pointer lock, touch inputs, drag and drop, and more.
- Work offline
- appCache, service workers, localStorage, and IndexedDB.
- Audio and video delivery
- Delivery of video and audio onto a web document.
- Audio and video manipulation
- How to manipulate audio and video using
<canvas>, Web Audio API, and so on.
- Articles about making your web apps perform better.