Cause of the navigation: for example, the user clicked a link, or typed an address, or clicked a bookmark.
Note that many values here are not currently supported in Firefox: see the browser compatibility table for details.
Values of this type are strings. Possible values are:
- The user clicked a link in another page.
- The user typed the URL into the address bar. This is also used if the user started typing into the address bar, then selected a URL from the suggestions it offered. See also "generated".
- The user clicked a bookmark or an item in the browser history.
- Any nested iframes that are automatically loaded by their parent.
- Any nested iframes that are loaded as an explicit user action. Loading such an iframe will generate an entry in the back/forward navigation list.
- The user started typing in the address bar, then clicked on a suggested entry that didn't contain a URL.
- The page was passed to the command line or is the start page.
- The user submitted a form. Note that in some situations, such as when a form uses a script to submit its contents, submitting a form does not result in this transition type.
- The user reloaded the page, using the Reload button or by pressing Enter in the address bar. This is also used for session restore and reopening closed tabs.
- The URL was generated using a keyword search configured by the user.
- Corresponds to a visit generated for a keyword.
The compatibility table in this page is generated from structured data. If you'd like to contribute to the data, please check out https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data and send us a pull request.
|Chrome||Edge||Firefox||Firefox for Android||Opera|
|Basic support||Yes||No||48.0 1||48.0 1||33|
Microsoft Edge compatibility data is supplied by Microsoft Corporation and is included here under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
// Copyright 2015 The Chromium Authors. All rights reserved. // // Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without // modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are // met: // // * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright // notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. // * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above // copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer // in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the // distribution. // * Neither the name of Google Inc. nor the names of its // contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from // this software without specific prior written permission. // // THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS // "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT // LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR // A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT // OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, // SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT // LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, // DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY // THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT // (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE // OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.