history API to interact with the browser history.
Browser history is a chronological record of pages the user has visited. The history API enables you to:
- search for pages that appear in the browser history
- remove individual pages from the browser history
- add pages to the browser history
- remove all pages from the browser history.
However, the user may have visited a single page multiple times, so the API also has the concept of "visits". So you can also use this API to:
- retrieve the complete set of visits the user made to a particular page
- remove visits to any pages made during a given time period.
- Describes how the browser navigated to a particular page.
Provides information about a particular page in the browser history.
Describes a single visit to a page.
- Searches the browser history for
history.HistoryItemobjects matching the given criteria.
- Retrieves information about visits to a given page.
- Adds a record to the browser history of a visit to the given page.
- Removes all visits to the given URL from the browser history.
- Removes all visits to pages that the user made during the given time range.
- Removes all visits from the browser history.
Fired when the title of a page visited by the user is recorded.
- Fired each time the user visits a page, providing the
history.HistoryItemdata for that page.
Fired when a URL is removed completely from the browser history.
The compatibility table in this page is generated from structured data. If you'd like to contribute to the data, please check out https://github.com/mdn/browser-compat-data and send us a pull request.
|Chrome||Edge||Firefox||Firefox for Android||Opera|
|Yes *||No||49||No||Yes *|
Microsoft Edge compatibility data is supplied by Microsoft Corporation and is included here under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 United States License.
// Copyright 2015 The Chromium Authors. All rights reserved. // // Redistribution and use in source and binary forms, with or without // modification, are permitted provided that the following conditions are // met: // // * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright // notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer. // * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above // copyright notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer // in the documentation and/or other materials provided with the // distribution. // * Neither the name of Google Inc. nor the names of its // contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from // this software without specific prior written permission. // // THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY THE COPYRIGHT HOLDERS AND CONTRIBUTORS // "AS IS" AND ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT // LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR // A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL THE COPYRIGHT // OWNER OR CONTRIBUTORS BE LIABLE FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, // SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES (INCLUDING, BUT NOT // LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR SERVICES; LOSS OF USE, // DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER CAUSED AND ON ANY // THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY, OR TORT // (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE USE // OF THIS SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.