Changes for web developers
- In the Debugger you can now set breakpoints for DOM Mutation, so execution will pause when a node or its attibutes are changed or when a node is removed from the DOM (bug 1576219).
- The Debugger now shows an overlay on the page when it is paused, with basic stepping buttons to let you step and continue (bug 1574646).
- The Debugger now shows sources that already got discarded by the engine (usually scripts that execute once during page load), so you can properly set breakpoints to debug when they execute next (bug 1572280).
- The Debugger's scopes panel grouping has been simplified, consolidating additional scopes previously shown above the top level function (e.g. blocks created by
else) (bug 1448166)
- The Debugger now retains the currently selected and expanded variables in the scopes panel while stepping (bug 1405402).
- The Debugger now handles stepping over async functions correctly, making asynchronous function debugging easier (bug 1570178).
- When debugging in Container sessions (useful for testing different logins), the sources in the debugger are now shown correctly (bug 1375036).
debuggerstatements can be now disabled in the Debugger by setting a breakpoint on them and switching the breakpoints to "Never pause here" (bug 925269).
- An icon will be displayed next to inactive CSS properties in the Rules view of the Page Inspector, which you can hover over to get information on why it is inactive (bug 1306054).
- In the CSS Rules view, the color picker on foreground colors now tells you whether its contrast with the background color meets accessibility conformance criteria (bug 1478156).
- The Accessibility inspector's Check for issues dropdown now includes keyboard accessibility checks (bug 1564968).
- Firefox can now suggest securely-generated passwords to the user in the following situations:
<input>element has the
- The user opens the context menu on any password input element, even if it is not intended for new passwords.
- Opacity values like for
stop-opacitycan now be percentages (bug 1562086).
grid-auto-rowsnow accept multiple track-size values (bug 1339672).
- A number of text-related CSS properties have been enabled by default (bug 1573631):
displayproperty now accepts two keyword values representing the inner and outer display type (bug 1038294, bug 1105868 and bug 1557825).
font-sizeproperty now accepts the new keyword value
xxx-large. (bug 1553545).
:visitedpseudo-class no longer matches
<link>elements, for logic and performance reasons (bug 1572246; see Intent to ship: Make <link> elements always unvisited and [selectors] :link and <link> for more reasoning as to why).
- We now support an
autovalue for the
quotesproperty (bug 1421938).
- Stylesheets contained in
<style>elements are now cached for reuse, to improve performance (bug 1480146). Note that this currently doesn't include stylesheets that contain
<ratio>type now accepts
<number>/<number>or a single
<number>as a value. (bug 1565562).
- We have retired support for 3-valued <position> (excluding background)(bug 1559276). See site compat note.
nonevalue is now invalid in
counters()— a change which makes the Level 3 spec match CSS 2.1 bug 1576821).
- Cut, copy, and paste events are now dispatched to SVG graphics elements (bug 1569474).
- Numeric separators are now supported (bug 1435818).
Intl.RelativeTimeFormat.formatToParts()method has been implemented (bug 1473229).
BigInt.prototype.toLocaleString()method has been updated to work with the
optionsparameters per the ECMAScript 402 Intl API. Also,
BigIntvalues (bug 1543677).
- Per the latest ECMAScript specification, a leading zero is now never allowed for BigInt literals, making
09ninvalid similar to the existing error when legacy octal numbers like
07nare used. Always use a leading zero with the letter "o" (lowercase or uppercase) for octal
0755n). See bug 1568619.
- The Unicode extension key "nu" is now supported for the
Intl.RelativeTimeFormatconstructor and the
Intl.RelativeTimeFormat.resolvedOptions()method now also returns
go()methods are now asynchronous. Add a listener to the
event to get notification that navigation has completed bug 1563587.
- We've added support
DOMPoint, etc. in web workers (bug 1420580).
- A few more members have been moved from
Document.clearEvents(bug 1558570, bug 1558571).
- Strict MIME type checks are now enforced on worker and shared worker scripts, i.e. those targetted by the
SharedWorker()constructors (bug 1523706).
Media, Web Audio, and WebRTC
RTCPeerConnection.restartIce()method has been added (bug 1551316).
RTCPeerConnection.setRemoteDescription()method can now be called with no parameters (bug 1568292).
RTCRtpTransceiver.stoppingproperty is now deprecated in favor of newly-implemented
RTCRtpTransceiver.currentDirectionstopped values (bug 1568296).
MediaTrackSupportedConstraints.groupIdis now supported, and takes a value of
trueby default (bug 1561254).
- Several new Web Audio API features have been implemented/updated:
AudioContext.getOutputTimestamp()implemented (bug 1324545).
AudioContext.outputLatencyimplemented (bug 1324552).
MediaStreamAudioSourceNode.mediaStreamimplemented (bug 1350973).
ChannelMergerNode()constructor now throws errors if you try to set
channelCountModeto invalid values (bug 1456263).
Canvas and WebGL
- We now support
CanvasRenderingContext2D.getTransform(), and the newer variant of
CanvasRenderingContext2D.setTransform()that accepts a matrix object as a parameter rather than multiple parameters representing the individual components of the matrix (bug 928150).
- The default referrer policy for third-party tracking resources is now
strict-origin-when-cross-originwhen Enhanced Tracking Protection is turned on (bug 1569996).
- The size of the
Refererrequest header is now limited to 4 KB (4,096 bytes). If an overly long referer exceeds the defined limit, only the origin part will be sent (bug 1557346).
- The HTTP cache is now partitioned per the top-level document's origin (bug 1536058).
allow-from uridirective has been removed. Use the
Content-Security-Policyheader with the
frame-ancestorsdirective instead (bug 1301529).
Changes for add-on developers
- Added a new parameter to the
topSites.get()method that causes the method to return the list of pages that appear when the user opens a new tab (bug 1568617).
The following theme key properties, which provided aliases for theme keys used in chromium-based browsers, were removed:
headerURL, themes should now use
accentcolor, themes should now use
textcolor, themes should now use
- Firefox 69 for developers
- Firefox 68 for developers
- Firefox 67 for developers
- Firefox 66 for developers
- Firefox 65 for developers
- Firefox 64 for developers
- Firefox 63 for developers
- Firefox 62 for developers
- Firefox 61 for developers
- Firefox 60 for developers
- Firefox 59 for developers
- Firefox 58 for developers
- Firefox 57 for developers
- Firefox 56 for developers
- Firefox 55 for developers
- Firefox 54 for developers
- Firefox 53 for developers
- Firefox 52 for developers
- Firefox 51 for developers
- Firefox 50 for developers
- Firefox 49 for developers
- Firefox 48 for developers
- Firefox 47 for developers
- Firefox 46 for developers
- Firefox 45 for developers
- Firefox 44 for developers
- Firefox 43 for developers
- Firefox 42 for developers
- Firefox 41 for developers
- Firefox 40 for developers
- Firefox 39 for developers