This page is not complete.
Basic use cases
- How do you declare a variable?
- How do you initialize a variable with a value?
- How do you update a variable's value? (also see Assignment operators)
- What does 'loosely typed' mean?
- What types of number do you have to deal with in web development?
- Do you have to use single quotes or double quotes?
- How do you escape characters in strings?
- How do you join strings together?
- Can you join strings and numbers together?
- How do you find the length of a string?
- How you find what character is at a certain position in a string?
- How do you find and extract a specific substring from a string?
- How do you change the case of a string?
- How do you replace one specific substring with another?
- How do you create an array?
- How do you access and modify the items in an array? (this includes multidimensional arrays)
- How do you find the length of an array?
- How you add and remove array items?
- How do you split a string into array items, or join array items into a string?
- What are the basic types of error?
- What are browser developer tools, and how do you access them?
Making decisions in code
- How do you execute different blocks of code, depending on a variable's value or other condition?
- How do you use if ...else statements?
- How do nest one decision block inside another?
- How do you conveniently handle a large number of choices for one condition?
- How do you use a ternary operator to make a quick choice between two options based on a true or false test?
- How do you run the same bit of code over and over again?
- How do you exit a loop before the end if a certain condition is met?
- How do you skip to the next iteration of a loop if a certain condition is met?
- How do you use while and do ... while loops?
- How to iterate over the elements in an array
- How to iterate over the elements in a multidimensional array
- How to iterate over the members in an object
- How to iterate over the members of an object nested inside an array
Intermediate use cases
- How do you find functions in the browser?
- What is the difference between a function and a method?
- How do you create your own functions?
- How do you run (call, or invoke) a function?
- What is an anonymous function?
- How do you specify parameters (or arguments) when invoking a function?
- What is function scope?
- What are return values, and how do you use them?
- How do you create an object?
- What is dot notation?
- What is bracket notation?
- How do you get and set the methods and properties of an object?
- What is
this, in the context of an object?
- What is object-oriented programming?
- What are constructors and instances, and how do you create them?
- What are event handlers and how do you use them?
- What are inline event handlers?
- What does the
addEventListener()function do, and how do you use it?
- Which mechanism should I use to add event code to my web pages?
- What are event objects, and how do you use them?
- How do you prevent default event behaviour?
- How do events fire on nested elements? (event propagation, also related — event bubbling and capturing)
- What is event delegation, and how does it work?
- What are object prototypes?
- What is the constructor property, and how can you use it?
- How do you add methods to the constructor?
- How do you create a new constructor that inherits its members from a parent constructor?