The Gamepad API is a way for developers to access and respond to signals from gamepads and other game controllers in a simple, consistent way. It contains three interfaces, two events and one specialist function, to respond to gamepads being connected and disconnected, and to access other information about the gamepads themselves, and what buttons and other controls are currently being pressed.
- Represents a gamepad/controller connected to the computer.
- Represents a button on one of the connected controllers.
- The event object representing events fired that are related to gamepads.
Experimental Gamepad extensions
- Represents hardware in the controller designed to provide haptic feedback to the user (if available), most commonly vibration hardware.
- Represents the pose of a controller (e.g. position and orientation in 3D space) in the case of a WebVRcontroller.
See also the extensions to the Gamepad interface, for features that allow you to access the above information.
Extensions to other interfaces
- An extension to the
Navigatorobject that returns an array of
Gamepadobjects, one for each connected gamepad.
- Represents an event handler that will run when a gamepad is connected (when the
- Represents an event handler that will run when a gamepad is disconnected (when the
Tutorials and guides
|Gamepad Extensions||Editor's Draft||Defines the Experimental Gamepad extensions.|
The definition of 'The Gamepad API specification' in that specification.
|Working Draft||Initial definition|
We're converting our compatibility data into a machine-readable JSON format. This compatibility table still uses the old format, because we haven't yet converted the data it contains. Find out how you can help!
|Feature||Chrome||Edge||Firefox (Gecko)||Internet Explorer||Opera||Safari (WebKit)|
|General support||21.0 webkit
|(Yes)||29.0 (29.0)||No support||15.0 webkit
|Gamepad extensions||No support||No support||No support||No support||No support||No support|
|Feature||Android||Edge||Firefox Mobile (Gecko)||IE Phone||Opera Mobile||Safari Mobile||Samsung Internet|
|General support||No support||(Yes)||32.0 (32.0)||No support||No support||No support||Yes|
|Gamepad extensions||No support||No support||No support||No support||No support||No support||No support|
 Enabled in Firefox Nightly and Beta, versions 55 and above. Enabled/disabled by the