Test your skills: The Cascade
The aim of this task is to help you check your understanding of some of the values and units that we looked at in the lesson on The Cascade and Inheritance.
Note: You can try out solutions in the interactive editors below, however, it may be helpful to download the code and use an online tool such as CodePen, jsFiddle, or Glitch to work on the tasks.
If you get stuck, then ask us for help — see the Assessment or further help section at the bottom of this page.
In this task, you need to use one of the special values we looked at in the Controlling inheritance section to write a declaration in a new rule that will reset the background color back to white, without using an actual color value.
In the example below see if you can match the image above.
For assessment or further work purposes, download the starting point for this task to work in your own editor or in an online editor.
You can practice these examples in the Interactive Editors mentioned above.
If you would like your work assessed, or are stuck and want to ask for help:
- Put your work into an online shareable editor such as CodePen, jsFiddle, or Glitch. You can write the code yourself, or use the starting point files linked to in the above sections.
- Write a post asking for assessment and/or help at the MDN Discourse forum Learning category. Your post should include:
- A descriptive title such as "Assessment wanted for Cascade skill test 1".
- Details of what you have already tried, and what you would like us to do, e.g. if you are stuck and need help, or want an assessment.
- A link to the example you want to be assessed or need help with, in an online shareable editor (as mentioned in step 1 above). This is a good practice to get into — it's very hard to help someone with a coding problem if you can't see their code.
- A link to the actual task or assessment page, so we can find the question you want help with.