Firefox 14 shipped on July 17, 2012. This article lists key changes that are useful for not only Web developers to know about, but also Firefox and Gecko developers as well as add-on developers.
Changes for Web developers
<progress>element is no longer incorrectly classified as a form element, and therefore no longer has a
- The default modifier keys for the
accesskeyof HTML contents on Mac are changed to Control+Option. This is the same as WebKit-based browsers on Mac.
- input events are fired also on editing host element of contenteditable editor and root element of designMode editor.
DOMException.codeis now deprecated per latest DOM Level 4 specification.
Range.insertNode()method now works correctly when used on collapsed ranges.
MozBlobBuilderinterface has been deprecated in favor of the constructor on
Blob. If you use
MozBlobBuilderyou'll see a warning message in the Web Console.
Blob()constructor is now available to workers (bug 736686).
- Support for the Mutation Observers has been landed. It is designed as a replacement for the Mutation Events in DOM3, which has a number of issues regarding performance.
yproperties were removed in Gecko 7.0 (Firefox 7.0 / Thunderbird 7.0 / SeaMonkey 2.4) but restored in this release for compatibility reasons.
queryCommandText(), which never did anything, have been removed.
GeoPositionAddressinterface, an obsolete part of the Geolocation API, has been removed.
localStorage/sessionStoragenow correctly return
nullfor undeclared keys through property access.ff
ImageDataobject has been implemented (bug 550309).
- Attributes and methods related to child nodes on
Attrinterface where obsoleted (bug 737122).
font-variantCSS properties have been fixed to correctly handle the
ITurkic-specific case pairs.
- The Dutch IJ digraph is now correctly handled by
text-transform: capitalization. Similarly the Greek letter
Σ, which has two lowercase forms,
ς, is now correctly handled by
- Support for the
skew()function has been removed from
transformproperty, as it has been removed from the draft standard.
- The syntax for
border-imagehas been updated to match the latest revision of the specification; it no longer accepts a trailing slash ("/").
- The syntax of the
statuslineaction type on
<maction>elements has been adjusted to follow the MathML specification.
- Gecko now supports the new HTTP
308 Permanent Redirectstatus code. As Gecko doesn't make a distinction between permanent and temporary redirects, it behaves like the
307 Temporary Redirectstatus code, as it forbids the user agent from changing the HTTP method used between the two requests (
Changes for Mozilla and add-on developers
- Added a keyboard shortcut to toggle commenting for the current selection (Ctrl-/ or Cmd-/ on Mac OS X).
- Added the Ctrl-[ and Ctrl-] keyboard shortcuts for moving the text input position to the beginning and end of the current block.
- Added the new
- Added the new
fullscreenbuttonattribute to the
windowelement; setting this to
trueadds a button to the window's chrome to enable full screen mode.
nsILocalFileinterface has been merged into
- The methods in
nsIPlacesImportExportServicefor importing bookmarks have all been removed in favor of the
nsIDOMGeoPositionAddressinterface has been removed.
getItemIdForGUIDmethods have been removed from
- Dictionary names are now parsed as full BCP 47 language tags (bug 730209, bug 741842). Developers are encouraged to not hard-code the name of their language in their dictionary names.
- Firefox 50 for developers
- Firefox 49 for developers
- Firefox 48 for developers
- Firefox 47 for developers
- Firefox 46 for developers
- Firefox 45 for developers
- Firefox 44 for developers
- Firefox 43 for developers
- Firefox 42 for developers
- Firefox 41 for developers
- Firefox 40 for developers
- Firefox 39 for developers
- Firefox 38 for developers
- Firefox 37 for developers
- Firefox 36 for developers
- Firefox 35 for developers
- Firefox 34 for developers
- Firefox 33 for developers
- Firefox 32 for developers
- Firefox 31 for developers
- Firefox 30 for developers
- Firefox 29 for developers
- Firefox 28 for developers
- Firefox 27 for developers
- Firefox 26 for developers
- Firefox 25 for developers
- Firefox 24 for developers
- Firefox 23 for developers
- Firefox 22 for developers
- Firefox 21 for developers
- Firefox 20 for developers