How to document web errors
In order to help this project, we need to write more error documentation on MDN so that we can add more links to the tools where the messages are thrown.
- Firefox/Gecko's error messages: https://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/js/src/js.msg
- Edge/Chakra's error messages: https://github.com/Microsoft/ChakraCore/blob/master/lib/Parser/rterrors.h
- Chrome/v8's error messages: https://github.com/v8/v8/blob/master/src/messages.h#L75
- Depending on which type of error you want to write about, you can take a closer look at these pages.
- You might want to copy the content of an existing page to kick off your new page.
- Either use a copied structure from one of the existing error documents or start from scratch. Your choice!
- You should have at least:
- A syntax box containing the message as thrown in different browsers.
- The error type.
- A text that explains why this error happened, what its consequences are. Go beyond the thrown message.
- Examples showcasing the error (there might be more than one!) and an example showing how to fix the code.
- Pointers to other reference material on MDN.
Once your page is created, submit it as a PR, and a member of our review team will be assigned automatically to review your page.