This article provides information about the changes in Firefox 72 that will affect developers. Firefox 72 was released on January 7, 2020.
Changes for web developers
- In the multi-line mode of the interactive JS interpreter, you can open and save files using the keyboard shortcuts Ctrl + O and Ctrl + S, respectively (bug 1592308).
- You can set a preference so that asynchronous messages are visually separated (bug 1592969).
- You can now right/Ctrl click on objects in the Scopes panel, and choose Property set or Property get to set watchpoints (bug 1574192).
- You can set a preference to enable a simulator for different values of the
prefers-color-schememedia feature (bug 1550804).
- CSS Shadow Parts are now enabled. This includes the
::partpseudo-element, which allow shadow hosts to selectively expose chosen elements from their shadow tree to the outside page for styling purposes (bug 1559074).
- CSS Motion Path has been shipped (bug 1582554, also see the Intent to Ship). This includes:
- The individual transform properties —
translate— are now enabled by default (bug 1424900).
- The Geolocation API has had some interface name updates, as per recent spec changes (bug 1575144):
- A number of properties have been updated to use standard stringifiers (bug 824857):
PushManager.subscribe()can now only be called in response to a user gesture such as a
clickevent (bug 1593644).
Media, Web Audio, and WebRTC
MediaDevices.getDisplayMedia()method can now only be called in response to a user gesture such as a
clickevent (bug 1580944).
RTCRtpContributingSourcedictionary can now include the
rtpTimestampproperty, which is a source-generated time at which the packet's media was generated or sampled (bug 1583867).
- Removed the non-standard
window.mozPaintCountproperty. (bug 1591968)
BatteryManagerinterface is no longer exposed to web content (bug 1441976).
Navigator.vibrate()is no longer supported in cross-origin
<iframe>s (bug 1591113).
- WebRTC no longer supports the
pt=parameters on the
simulcastattribute. The new syntax for a line such as "
a=simulcast: send rid=7 recv rid=8" is now "
a=simulcast: send 7 recv 8". The new syntax has been supported since Firefox 68, so now it's time tor retire support for the old syntax (bug 1470568).
- Opting-out of MIME sniffing using
X-Content-Type-Optionsis now also applied to top-level documents if a
Content-typeis provided. This can cause HTML web pages to be downloaded instead of being rendered when they are served with a MIME type other than
text/html. Make sure to set both headers correctly. (bug 1591932).
- Dropped the support for HTTP Public Key Pinning (HPKP) because of the low adoption rate and interoperability risk. The
Public-Key-Pins-Report-Onlyheaders are now silently ignored bug 1412438.
WebDriver conformance (Marionette)
WebDriver:FindElementscommands (bug 1587627).
Webdriver:TakeScreenshotno longer fails if captured area exceeds upper maximum bound for the canvas width, height, or size (bug 1590064).
Changes for add-on developers
browserSettings.ftpProtocolEnabledproperty has been implemented (bug 1592687).
BrowserSetting.onChangeevent has been implemented (bug 1410412).
captivePortal.canonicalURLproperty has been implemented (bug 1592932).
- The callback functions for the
pageAction.onClickedevents now include a
OnClickDataproperty containing an object whose properties describe the mouse button pressed along with any keyboard modifiers (bug 1405031). This allows support for additional types of mouse click.
- Firefox 71 for developers
- Firefox 70 for developers
- Firefox 69 for developers
- Firefox 68 for developers
- Firefox 67 for developers
- Firefox 66 for developers
- Firefox 65 for developers
- Firefox 64 for developers
- Firefox 63 for developers
- Firefox 62 for developers
- Firefox 61 for developers
- Firefox 60 for developers
- Firefox 59 for developers
- Firefox 58 for developers
- Firefox 57 for developers
- Firefox 56 for developers
- Firefox 55 for developers
- Firefox 54 for developers
- Firefox 53 for developers
- Firefox 52 for developers
- Firefox 51 for developers
- Firefox 50 for developers
- Firefox 49 for developers
- Firefox 48 for developers
- Firefox 47 for developers
- Firefox 46 for developers
- Firefox 45 for developers
- Firefox 44 for developers
- Firefox 43 for developers
- Firefox 42 for developers
- Firefox 41 for developers