This module provides information about your extension and the environment it's running in.
It also provides messaging APIs enabling you to:
- Communicate between different parts of your extension. For advice on choosing between the messaging options, see Choosing between one-off messages and connection-based messaging.
- Communicate with other extensions.
- Communicate with native applications.
- runtime.Port (en-US)
- Represents one end of a connection between two specific contexts, which can be used to exchange messages.
- runtime.MessageSender (en-US)
Contains information about the sender of a message or connection request.
- runtime.PlatformOs (en-US)
- Identifies the browser's operating system.
- runtime.PlatformArch (en-US)
- Identifies the browser's processor architecture.
- runtime.PlatformInfo (en-US)
- Contains information about the platform the browser is running on.
- runtime.RequestUpdateCheckStatus (en-US)
- Result of a call to runtime.requestUpdateCheck() (en-US).
- runtime.OnInstalledReason (en-US)
- The reason that the runtime.onInstalled (en-US) event is being dispatched.
- runtime.OnRestartRequiredReason (en-US)
- The reason that the runtime.onRestartRequired (en-US) event is being dispatched.
- runtime.getBackgroundPage() (en-US)
- Retrieves the Window object for the background page running inside the current extension.
- runtime.openOptionsPage() (en-US)
Opens your extension's options page.
- Gets the complete manifest.json file, serialized as an object.
- runtime.getURL() (en-US)
- Given a relative path from the manifest.json to a resource packaged with the extension, returns a fully-qualified URL.
- runtime.setUninstallURL() (en-US)
- Sets a URL to be visited when the extension is uninstalled.
- runtime.reload() (en-US)
- Reloads the extension.
- runtime.requestUpdateCheck() (en-US)
- Checks for updates to this extension.
- runtime.connect() (en-US)
- Establishes a connection from a content script to the main extension process, or from one extension to a different extension.
- runtime.connectNative() (en-US)
Connects the extension to a native application on the user's computer.
- runtime.sendMessage() (en-US)
- Sends a single message to event listeners within your extension or a different extension. Similar to runtime.connect (en-US) but only sends a single message, with an optional response.
- runtime.sendNativeMessage() (en-US)
- Sends a single message from an extension to a native application.
- runtime.getPlatformInfo() (en-US)
- Returns information about the current platform.
- runtime.getBrowserInfo() (en-US)
- Returns information about the browser in which this extension is installed.
- runtime.getPackageDirectoryEntry() (en-US)
- Returns a DirectoryEntry for the package directory.
- runtime.onStartup (en-US)
- Fired when a profile that has this extension installed first starts up. This event is not fired when an incognito profile is started.
- runtime.onInstalled (en-US)
- Fired when the extension is first installed, when the extension is updated to a new version, and when the browser is updated to a new version.
- runtime.onSuspend (en-US)
- Sent to the event page just before the extension is unloaded. This gives the extension an opportunity to do some cleanup.
- runtime.onSuspendCanceled (en-US)
- Sent after runtime.onSuspend (en-US) to indicate that the extension won't be unloaded after all.
- runtime.onUpdateAvailable (en-US)
- Fired when an update is available, but isn't installed immediately because the extension is currently running.
- runtime.onBrowserUpdateAvailable (en-US) Deprecated
- Fired when an update for the browser is available, but isn't installed immediately because a browser restart is required.
- runtime.onConnect (en-US)
- Fired when a connection is made with either an extension process or a content script.
- runtime.onConnectExternal (en-US)
- Fired when a connection is made with another extension.
- runtime.onMessage (en-US)
- Fired when a message is sent from either an extension process or a content script.
- runtime.onMessageExternal (en-US)
- Fired when a message is sent from another extension. Cannot be used in a content script.
- runtime.onRestartRequired (en-US)
- Fired when the device needs to be restarted.
BCD tables only load in the browser