This page contains links to documentation for the approach to developing extensions for Gecko-based applications which uses:
- XUL overlays to specify the interface
- APIs available to privileged code such as
XUL School is a comprehensive add-on development tutorial, focusing on Firefox extension development but mostly applicable to other Gecko-based applications.
- Setting up your environment
- Setting up the application for extension development.
- Tutorials and reference for the user interface language used by XUL extensions.
- Code snippets
- Sample code for many of the things you'll want to do.
- Installing extensions
- How to install an extension by copying the extension files into the application's install directory.
- Firefox add-ons developer guide
- A guide to developing overlay extensions.
- Extension preferences
- How to specify the preferences for your extension that will appear in the Add-ons Manager.
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Common issues with extension development.
- Extension packaging
- How extensions are packaged and installed.
- Binary Firefox extensions
- Creating binary extensions for Firefox.