Firefox OS 2.5 introduces support for add-ons, a feature that desktop users have known and loved since the beginning of Firefox. Add-ons on Firefox OS are even more powerful and can customize not only the browser, but the whole phone experience, including tweaks to the homescreen and system apps like E-Mail and Messages. This page tells you everything you need to know to get started with creating Firefox OS add-ons and get involved with the add-ons community.
Note: Firefox OS add-ons are based on the WebExtensions API, which is also supported in Firefox desktop starting with version 42 and is based on the extension APIs used in Chrome and Opera.
You should follow the below steps to get set up to start developing extensions.
1. Flash your phone to Firefox OS 2.5
Firefox OS add-ons are only supported on Firefox OS 2.5 and later. Here’s a list of supported devices and how to update them (this list is incomplete, and will be added to as time goes on.)
- Flame (recommended): See Quick guide to updating your Flame.
2. Enable USB Debugging
In the Settings app on the device, select Developer > Debugging via USB > ADB and Devtools. You should now be able to debug installed apps using WebIDE, either via a USB cable, and over Wifi (no USB cable required.)
3. Set up WebIDE
- Tutorial: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Mozilla/Firefox_OS/Add-ons/Developing_Firefox_OS_add-ons
- In-depth example: https://hacks.mozilla.org/2015/11/building-an-ios-style-unread-notifications-add-on-for-firefox-os/
- API reference: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/Add-ons/WebExtensions
- Submitting to Marketplace: Add-on submission
- Review criteria (working draft): Add-on review criteria
- Mailing list: https://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-fxos
- Discourse forum: https://discourse.mozilla-community.org/c/add-ons/development
- IRC: irc.mozilla.org, #webextensions and #fxos
- Join the unofficial Telegram group: https://telegram.me/joinchat/BTLPMAC90O9n8cpgsZ03_A
- Let us know what new APIs we should prioritize: https://webextensions.uservoice.com/forums/315663-webextension-api-ideas
- Follow us on Twitter: @MozWebExt