Note: A number of the articles on this page are good, but the page itself is obsolete; most of this material is being purposed and put into the new Open Web Apps docs.
Guides and tutorials
- Getting started with app development
- An introduction to Web app development.
- Firefox OS app development quickstart
- An quick guide to get you building Firefox OS apps in no time.
- App development for Web developers
- Tips for new Web app developers interested in converting their Web sites into Web apps.
- App development for mobile application developers
- Suggestions for developers of apps for other mobile platforms who would like to start building Open Web Apps.
- Developing game apps
- Special considerations for game app developers, above and beyond the basics of Web app development.
- Assorted tutorials and step-by-step guides to building example apps.
- Open Web Apps and Web standards
- High-level view of the intentions behind Open Web Apps.
- Using app templates
- To help you get going with app development as quickly as possible, there are some template apps you can use as a basis for your own apps. This guide provides information on those templates, how to get them, and how to work with them.
- App Manifest
- The manifest contains information describing your app. This guide explains how the manifest works and how to create one.
- Installing Apps
Apps.install()DOM method is used to install an app. Learn how to use it in this reference page.
- App permissions
- Access to device APIs is key to creating many useful apps. Here is what's available and how to access them.
- Letting your app work offline
- Strategies and technologies you can use to ensure that your app works when there's no network connection available.
- Packaged apps
- This article explains packaged apps, which you need for an app to access sensitive device APIs, and covers how to create and install them.
- Identity integration
- Information about using Persona (also known as BrowserID) to authenticate app developers and users.
Tools for app developers
Technology reference documentation
Getting help from the community
If you still aren't sure how to do what you're trying to get done, feel free to join the conversation!
- Consult the webapps forum:
- Ask your question on the Open Web Apps IRC channel: #openwebapps