I am the engineering lead and module owner for the Firefox browser.
I have been working on Firefox since January 2003, and on the Mozilla project as a volunteer since 1999.
I worked at Netscape from 1999 to 2003 as a Software Engineer in the Navigator group, contributing to the release of Netscape 6.x and 7.x before joining the Mozilla Foundation in July of 2003 as the tech lead for Firefox.
In January 2005 I joined Google Inc., where I continue to work on the Firefox browser project.
Significant components within the Mozilla and Firefox projects that I have been involved:
- Extension Manager for Firefox (including a significant upgrade for Firefox 1.5)
- Client Software Update System for Firefox (with Darin Fisher)
- Data Migration System from Internet Explorer (Windows and MacOS), Netscape 6.x/7.x and SeaMonkey (All Platforms), Opera 7 and 8 (All Platforms), Safari (MacOS X), Netscape 4.x (All Platforms), etc.
- Options UI in Firefox
- Download Manager UI for Firefox
- Info Bar implementation in Firefox showing blocked popups and installs.
- Yellow Location bar for secure sites
- Numerous enhancements to the XUL application development platform
- The original Classic Theme used by Netscape 6.x/7.x and SeaMonkey and a basis for Firefox's theme.
- Revised Installer UI for Firefox on Windows
- Preferences UI in Netscape 6.x/7.x and SeaMonkey
- Profile Manager UI
- Bookmarks Manager UI
Project management involvement:
- Primary contributor to product planning for all Firefox releases from 0.6-1.0, major contributor to product planning for 1.5 and beyond. Primary updater of the Firefox Roadmap.
- Major contributor to project management for Firefox releases from 0.6 to 1.0
- Worked with Visual Identity team to develop new Firefox brand and associated components (iconography, visual design, website)
- Wrote most user facing product pages for Firefox on mozilla.org.
- Identified key elements for mozilla.org front page design for Firefox 1.0 release.
I continue to remain involved and interested in most of these areas.
My bugzilla id is bugs at bengoodger dot com, although you can email me at ben at mozilla dot org.