At creating a OpenSearch plugin for Firefox 2.0 , I have to specify the a URL of the type="application/x-suggestions+json" where the search suggestions are stored.
This causes that the search suggestions are stored on the server. If I do not like this, because of privacy:
1) Can I prevent a plugin to store on a server as User of Firefox ?
2) What ULR do I have to use, that these things are stored locally ?
- The "application/x-suggestions+json" URL in your plugin file has nothing to do with where suggestions are stored - it's the URL used to obtain the suggestions. These suggestions are displayed once and then discarded. These kinds of "suggestions" are different from the standard "history" results, which are stored in the user's profile, on disk. gavin 05:50, 31 October 2006 (PST)
Can I add the search engine by clicking on a link?
I created a few search engine XML files that work fine when I add them directly from the tool bar. That is, I go to the page where I have defined the auto discovery links to the XML files. Immediately the search box on Firefox gets the blue blinking light. I am then able to "add" the new search engine right there. However, I want to have links on this page where I describe the search engine's functionality. Clicking on the link should add the search engine. What should I do to create those links? Now it just opens up the xml file in the browser.
- See Adding search engines from web pages, which is linked to in the third paragraph of this article. gavin 10:54, 9 January 2007 (PST)
- Thanks Gavin. That worked.--Godzilla2 15:03, 9 January 2007 (PST)
This page is vandalized very often and doesn't get much useful edits. I suggest we lock it. --Nickolay 15:42, 10 April 2007 (PDT)
I agree. This page gets messed with constantly. I'm going to lock it. If anyone has a legitimate edit to make, let us know and we'll open it up for that. --Sheppy 16:06, 10 April 2007 (PDT)
- savely needs to be changed to safely. I'm a new user here and this is my first edit. Nastajus 20:04, 24 July 2007 (PDT)
- Fixed the typo, thanks! --Nickolay 10:56, 25 July 2007 (PDT)
How Search Engines Become "Recommended"?
Is there a need for this page (or some other page) to include some information on how, why and when a search plug-in gets elevated from the full database of plug-ins (http://mycroft.mozdev.org/) to Firefox's primary search plug-in page (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/browse/type:4)? I'm looking for this information myself and was unable to find anything on the topic. --Fold 14:56, 08 June 2007 (GMT)
- I suppose, you just need to submit it to AMO as an XPI. Post to dev-apps-firefox, perhaps? --Nickolay 10:56, 25 July 2007 (PDT)
- That was wrong:
<gavin|> you need to email the AMO team and ask to have it added, afaik <gavin|> they dont' accept them as XPIs <gavin|> I think they have plans to create a more elaborate system for submitting search engines
--Nickolay 14:16, 25 July 2007 (PDT)