At creating a OpenSearch plugin for Firefox 2.0 , I have to specify the a URL of the type="application/x-suggestions+json" where the search suggestions are stored.
This causes that the search suggestions are stored on the server. If I do not like this, because of privacy:
1) Can I prevent a plugin to store on a server as User of Firefox ?
2) What ULR do I have to use, that these things are stored locally ?
- The "application/x-suggestions+json" URL in your plugin file has nothing to do with where suggestions are stored - it's the URL used to obtain the suggestions. These suggestions are displayed once and then discarded. These kinds of "suggestions" are different from the standard "history" results, which are stored in the user's profile, on disk. gavin 05:50, 31 October 2006 (PST)
Can I add the search engine by clicking on a link?
I created a few search engine XML files that work fine when I add them directly from the tool bar. That is, I go to the page where I have defined the auto discovery links to the XML files. Immediately the search box on Firefox gets the blue blinking light. I am then able to "add" the new search engine right there. However, I want to have links on this page where I describe the search engine's functionality. Clicking on the link should add the search engine. What should I do to create those links? Now it just opens up the xml file in the browser.
- See Adding search engines from web pages, which is linked to in the third paragraph of this article. gavin 10:54, 9 January 2007 (PST)
- Thanks Gavin. That worked.--Godzilla2 15:03, 9 January 2007 (PST)
This page is vandalized very often and doesn't get much useful edits. I suggest we lock it. --Nickolay 15:42, 10 April 2007 (PDT)