The following are some ideas of ways people can contribute to Rhino. If something below strikes your fancy, write to norrisboyd (at) gmail (dot) com.
- Code modernization
- Remove uses of old Java collections (Vector, etc.) and replace with modern equivalents. Take care not to compromise thread safety.
- Replace Rhino's regular expression engine with java.util.regex. First analyze for any differences in the regular expression languages defined by Java and by ECMA.
- Remove Rhino debugger's dependency on downloaded Swing classes.
- Add in support for editing the command line in the Rhino shell.
- Provide APIs to access the AST of parsed scripts.
Also see enhancements in Bugzilla.