The Mozilla Developer Network (MDN) is a wiki, where anyone can add and edit content. You don't need to be a programmer or know a lot about technology. There is a range of tasks that need to be done, from the simple (proof-reading and correcting typos) to the complex (writing API documentation).
If you're a new contributor to MDN, or just thinking about contributing, you probably have questions! This article will help you get started.
Don't be afraid
There's really nothing to be afraid of! Contributing is easy and safe. Even if you make a mistake, it's easily fixed. Even if you don't know exactly how things should look, or your grammar isn't all that good, don't worry about it! We have a team of people whose job it is to make sure that MDN's content is as good as possible. Someone will be along to make sure your work is tidy and well-written.
You don't need special permission, either. As soon as you sign up for an MDN account, you're ready to start writing or editing. That said, if you have questions, or would like some help, you should join our online community and chat with us about it!
Creating an account
Now that you've been reassured that you won't blow up the Internet by contributing to MDN, you're probably wondering how you get started. Fortunately, it's easy. All you need is a Persona account. Persona is Mozilla's single-signon technology.
Here's how to create an MDN account:
- Click the Sign In button at the top of the page. A BrowserID login window opens.
- Enter the email address you want to use for the new account and click next.
- What happens next depends on whether you have used this email address with BrowserID before.
- If not, the BrowserID window asks you to choose a password. Enter the password twice and click verify.
- If so, the BrowserID window asks you for your existing password. Enter it and click verify.
- Check your email account, and look for a message from BrowserID@browserid.org; check your spam filter if you don't seem to get the message.
- Click the registration link in the message.
- Enter the password for this address (twice if it's new) and click finish. MDN now displays an account-creation page.
- Enter a user name to associate with your account and click Create new profile.
Note: Usernames can't contain spaces or the "@" character. Keep in mind that your username will be displayed publicly to identify the work you've done!
Logging into MDN
The hard part is over, believe it or not. You have an MDN account, linked to your Persona account. When you want to log into MDN, all you have to do is click the "Sign in" button at the top of the page. Alternatively, if you click any button that requires you to be signed in, and you aren't already, you'll be prompted to do so.
<add details, screen shots>