This article needs a technical review. How you can help.
The Mozilla Developer Network (MDN) is a wiki, where anyone can add and edit content. You don't need to be a programmer or know a lot about technology. There is a range of tasks that need to be done, from the simple (proof-reading and correcting typos) to the complex (writing API documentation).
If you're a new contributor to MDN, or just thinking about contributing, you probably have questions! This article will help you get started.
Don't be shy
Contributing is easy and safe. Even if you make a mistake, it's easily fixed. Even if you don't know exactly how things should look, or your grammar isn't all that good, don't worry about it! We have a team of people whose job it is to make sure that MDN's content is as good as possible. Someone will be along to make sure your work is tidy and well-written.
You don't need special permission, either. As soon as you sign up for an MDN account, you're ready to start writing or editing. That said, if you have questions, or would like some help, you should join our online community and chat with us about it!
Now that you've been reassured that you won't blow up the Internet by contributing to MDN, you're probably wondering how you get started. Fortunately, it's easy. All you need is a Persona account. Persona is Mozilla's single-signon technology.
Creating an account
Here's how to create an MDN account:
- Click the Sign In button at the top of the page. A Persona login window opens.
- Enter the email address you want to use for the new account and click next.
- What happens next depends on whether you have used this email address with Persona before.
- If so, the Persona window asks you for your existing password. Enter it and click done.
- If not, the Persona window asks you to choose a password.
- Enter the password twice and click done.
- Check your email account, and look for a message from email@example.com; check your spam filter if you don't seem to get the message.
- Click the registration link in the message. Your Persona account is created.
- Switch back to the tab or window where you started signing in to MDN.
- Once you have authenticated with Persona, the MDN New Profile page opens in the tab or window where you started the sign-in process.
- Enter a user name to associate with your account and click Create new profile.
Note: New usernames can't contain spaces or the "@" character. Keep in mind that your username will be displayed publicly to identify the work you've done!
Logging into MDN
The hard part is over, believe it or not. You have an MDN account, linked to your Persona account. When you want to log into MDN, all you have to do is click the "Sign in" button at the top of the page. Alternatively, if you click any button that requires you to be signed in, and you aren't already, you'll be prompted to do so.
Once you're logged in, the "Sign in" button changes to indicate your username, and to offer a link to sign out, like this:
Become an MDN beta tester
You can always opt out of beta testing if you want. Just uncheck the Beta User checkbox.
The features that are enabled by the Beta User checkbox vary over time.