This article will guide you in reporting a performance problem using the Gecko Profiler extension.
Setting up the Gecko Profiler extension
- Download and start the nightly build for your platform. You will have to close all running instance(s) of Firefox before launching nightly-profiling.
- Verify that it is running correctly by going to 'About Nightly' by looking for 'nightly-profiling' as the update channel (3rd line).
- Download and install the latest version of the Gecko Profiler extension. If the addon doesn't show up hit 'View->Toolbar->Add-on bar'.
- The profiler extension will show up in the bottom right and will be labeled as 'Profiler: Running'.
Using the profiler
- Reproduce the performance problem. If possible let the problem manifest itself for 5-10 seconds.
- Click on 'Profiler: Running' and select 'Analyze'. Try to do this within a few seconds from reproducing the performance problem.
- The data will open in a new tab. There will be a button in the bottom left called 'Upload view' which will upload this profile and once completed will write out a URL. Copy this URL to your clipboard and add the profile URL to the bug for your performance problem and/or send it to the appropriate person. Try to give some context about what you were doing when the performance problem arose such as the URL you were viewing and what actions were you doing (ex. scrolling on gmail.com).