Allows the plug-in to query the browser for information
#include <npapi.h> NPError NPN_GetValue(NPP instance, NPNVariable variable, void *value);
This function has the following parameters:
- Pointer to the current plug-in instance.
- Information the call gets. Values for
NPNVxDisplay=1: Unix only: Returns the current Display
NPNVxtAppContext: Unix only: Returns the application's XtAppContext
NPNVnetscapeWindow: MS Windows and Unix/X11 only:
- MS Windows: Gets the native window on which plug-in drawing occurs; returns HWND
- Unix/X11: Gets the browser toplevel window in which the plug-in is displayed; returns Window
NPNVasdEnabledBool: Tells whether SmartUpdate (former name: ASD) is enabled; true=SmartUpdate enabled, false=not enabled
NPNVOfflineBool: Tells whether offline mode is enabled; true=offline mode enabled, false=not enabled
- Function returns the name of the plug-in in the value parameter.
- If successful, the function returns NPERR_NO_ERROR.
- If unsuccessful, the plug-in is not loaded and the function returns an error code. For possible values, see Error Codes.
NPN_GetValue returns the browser information set with NPN_SetValue. The queried information is returned in the value parameter.
The method returns a value of type HWND. In many cases, a plug-in may still have to create its own window (a transparent child window of the browser window) to act as the owner window for popup menus and modal dialogs. This transparent child window can have its own WindowProc within which the plug-in can deal with WM_COMMAND messages sent to it a result of tracking the popup menu or modal dialog. Unix
The values for this parameter are the
NPNVxDisplay (the current Display) and the
NPNVxtAppContext (the browser's XtAppContext).
You can use this method to help create a menu or dialog box for a windowless plug-in. In order to bring up popup menus and modal dialogs, a plug-in needs a parent window. A windowless plug-in does not receive its own native window. Instead, it draws directly into the drawable given to it. Use the NPNVnetscapeWindow value to get the native window on which plug-in drawing occurs.