This feature is non-standard and is not on a standards track. Do not use it on production sites facing the Web: it will not work for every user. There may also be large incompatibilities between implementations and the behavior may change in the future.
Obsolete since Gecko 51 (Firefox 51 / Thunderbird 51 / SeaMonkey 2.48)
This feature is obsolete. Although it may still work in some browsers, its use is discouraged since it could be removed at any time. Try to avoid using it.
MozSocial object, returned by the
navigator.mozSocial property, is available within the social media provider's panel to provide functionality it may need.
- Returns a Boolean value; the result is
trueif the content is visible, otherwise it's
- Closes the currently open flyout panel.
- Performs some action designed to get the user's attention; the exact behavior may vary from platform to platform. This might display a visual effect, play an audible notification, flash the screen, or use some other technique.
- Returns a reference to the service worker; once content has this reference, it can call
worker.port.postMessage()method to communicate with the service.
- Opens a chat window that is anchored to the bottom of the browser window. Each chat window is expected to be a singular chat, but functionality may vary by provider.
- Opens a flyout panel attached to the sidebar at a given vertical offset. This might be, for example, used to display the actual conversation corresponding to a notification in the sidebar.
- Initiates a share action via the SocialAPI Share panel. One argument is passed, an object containing "url", "title", "description", "source" and "image".