- We are migrating the SSL Reference into the format described in the MDN Style Guide. If you are inclined to help with this migration, your help would be very much appreciated.
- The proposed chapters below are based on the chapters of the SSL Reference and the categories of functions in NSS Public Functions.
- Should a particular page require the use of an underscore, please see the documentation for the Title Override Extension.
Overview of an NSS application
Based on "Overview of an SSL Application" in the SSL Reference.
Getting started with NSS
Based on "Getting Started With SSL" in the SSL Reference.
Based on "Selected SSL Types and Structures" in the SSL Reference.
NSS initialization and shutdown
Based on "Utility Functions" in NSS Public Functions.
- Validating Certificates
- Manipulating Certificates
- Getting Certificate Information
- Comparing SecItem Objects
This API consists of the routines used to perform signature generation and the routines used to perform signature verification.
Generate keys, key pairs, and domain parameters.
Random number generation
This API consists of the two routines used for pseudorandom number generation -- PK11_GenerateRandomOnSlot and PK11_GenerateRandom -- and the two routines used for seeding pseudorandom number generation -- PK11_SeedRandom and PK11_RandomUpdate.
PKCS #11 functions
PKCS #7 functions
PKCS #5 functions
PKCS #12 functions
Based on "Archived PKCS #12 Functions documentation." Used to exchange data such as private keys and certificates between two parties.
A small number of NSPR functions are required for using the certificate verification and SSL functions in NSS. These functions are listed in this section.
Based on "NSS and SSL Error Codes" in the SSL Reference.
NSS Tech Notes
Based on NSS Tools documentation.