PKCS11 module installation
PKCS #11 modules are external modules which add to Firefox support for smartcard readers, biometric security devices, and external certificate stores. This article covers the two methods for installing PKCS #11 modules into Firefox. Users can use the preferences dialog to install or remove PKCS #11 module. Extensions can programmatically manage PKCS #11 modules using the nsIPKCS11 programming interface.
- Save the PKCS #11 module to a permanent location on your local computer
- In the Menu bar at the top of the screen, click Firefox and select Preferences
- Select Privacy & Security
- Scroll down to the Certificates section
- Press the Security Devices button to display the Device Manager dialog box
- Press the Load button
- Enter a name for the security module, such as "My Client Database". NOTE: there is currently a bug in Firefox where international characters may cause problems.
- Choose "Browse..." to find the location of the PKCS #11 module on your local computer, and choose "OK" when done.
Starting with Firefox 58, extensions can use the
pkcs11 browser extension API to enumerate PKCS #11 modules and make them accessible to the browser as sources of keys and certificates.