Building Firefox for the Desktop
Firefox for Windows, OS X and Linux is our most popular product. These links will help you get started building on your platform:
Firefox for Mobile Devices
We have several different mobile products aimed at different tasks, devices and audiences:
- Building Firefox for Android. (Codename: Fennec)
- Building Firefox for iOS, our general-purpose browser for iOS with desktop sync built in.
- Building Firefox Focus, our privacy-focused browser for iOS.
For both Desktop and Mobile development, please bear the following in mind:
- While you can build Firefox on older hardware it can take quite a bit of time to compile on slower machines. Having at least 8GB of RAM is recommended, and more is always better. The build process is both CPU and I/O intensive, so building on a machine with an SSD is also strongly preferred.
- Fast broadband internet is strongly recommended as well. Both the development environment and the source code repository are quite large.
- Though you can build Firefox to run on 32-bit machines, the build process for almost all of our products requires a 64-bit OS.