This document covers topics that a professional writer who will be working full-time on MDN needs to know to get started. If you contribute to MDN on a casual basis, you don't need to worry about this; you can just dive and get started. Or you can peruse these topics at your leisure if you are curious.
What is MDN web docs?
These are things that professional writers typically want to know before starting work in a new environment.
- What belongs on MDN?
- Editorial policies
- Writing style guide
- Other guidelines (Need to add: when to start documenting new technologies)
Basic usage of the MDN wiki
These articles describe basic information you need to get started with creating content on MDN.
- Create an account — For employees of partner organizations, we recommend that you sign up using an email address that reflects your employer.
- How to write an API reference
- Using the MDN editor UI
- How and when to use source mode
- Page types
- How to tag pages
- Using macros
- Commonly-used macros
These articles describe features of the MDN wiki that you might not need right away, but that you are likely to run into eventually.
- Ways of including code examples
- Structures used within documents
- Browser compatibility info: Github-based JSON, or old-style in-page tables
- Attaching images using the attachments widget — attaching SVG images requires special privileges; ask a Mozilla MDN staff member for help.
- Sidebars with QuickLinks
- Moving pages
- Translating pages
- MDN-related add-ons
Processes and communication
This section describes the channels used by MDN community, and the processes used by the Mozilla MDN staff team.
- Mozilla MDN staff team processes
- Public meetings
- MDN-related communication channels
- Please pop into the MDN discussion forum, and introduce yourself, and what you'll be working on.
- How to request changes to Kuma (MDN's wiki platform):
- Working in community
- How to find info in specifications
MDN web docs topic areas
- Overview of documentation status by topic
- HTML Doc status
- CSS Doc status
- APIs Doc status
- SVG Doc status