How to add or update browser compatibility data
If you have information about browser compatibility of Web features — or are willing and able to do some research and/or experimentation — you can help update MDN's Browser Compatibility Data (BCD).
- Where does it need to be done?
There are several ways that you can help improve browser compatibility information on MDN:
- Add data for web features not yet included in the BCD repository
- Update existing data with new information based on either changes to new versions of browsers, correcting mistakes in existing data, or updates to the features of a given technology
- Submit pull requests to address BCD issues filed on Github.
- What do you need to know to do the task?
- Familiarity with using Github
- Familiarity with using JSON
- Information about, or ability to test for, compatibility of web standards features in different browsers. You can also convert "old" compatibility table data into JSON.
- What are the steps to do the task?
- For details on how to update the JSON files that make up the BCD repository on Github, see our article on compatibility tables. For a list of issues that we're specifically looking for help with, look for Github issues with the "Help Wanted" tag.