The navigation bar should offer users tools MDC-wide content navigation and for user management within the various content systems.
(note: since there is no mechanism for synchronizing user authentication between the MediaWiki and the Wordpress weblogs, when a user moves between them, they will see different options within the space reserved for user management controls.)
A horizontal navigation bar will appear along the top of all MDC pages. This navigation bar should feature the following elements in some consistent fashion:
- MDC branding "badge"
- acts as link to MDC Home Page
- needs to be translated into all of the MDC supported languages
- it might be neat for the logo to be the 'Zilla in wireframe, half-textured as if it were under contstruction
- MDC content navigation links
- Links to other Mozilla sites
- links to other *.mozilla.org sites
- mozilla.org, wiki.mozilla.org, update.mozilla.org, etc.
When the user is not logged in to the wiki ...
- "Login" which leads to MediaWiki login
When the user is logged in to the wiki ...
- "Me" which links to the user's personal wiki page
- "Contributions" which links to the "My Contributions" wiki page
- "Watchlist" which links to the "My Watchlist" wiki page
- "Preferences" which leads to the MediaWiki user preferences
- "Language" leads to a page that lists all available MDC languages
- or, simply show the current language and provide a drop-down to change
- www.ibm.com does this well
- "Logout" option which logs the user out of the wiki
(tbd: for MDC Webwatch and MDC DevNews pages, it might be hard to tell if a user is logged into the MediaWiki. Need to look into this.)