Android is one of many platforms that can run Open Web Apps.
If you are developing apps for the Firefox OS and do not have a Firefox OS device, testing the app on an Android phone can be helpful.
What you need
Your Android app can take advantage of smartphone and tablet device APIs that are not available on a desktop OS. For example, orientation, geolocation, vibration, and so on.
If you want your app to run well and be usable on Android, keep in mind that smartphones and tablets are a small-screen devices and this must be handled properly by your app. A best practice for doing this is to use responsive Web design.
There are no other special requirements for developing Web apps for Android. The apps developer documentation on the Mozilla Developer Network applies to your Android apps.
Installing and launching your first Web app on Android
- On the Android device, open Firefox and go to the Firefox Marketplace at https://marketplace.firefox.com.
- If you are asked if you want to Install the Marketplace app, install it. (This is not required but it makes Marketplace interaction easier with Android.)
- Find the app you want to install.
- Tap the Free button to install the app.
- When the confirmation appears, tap OK.
The Android device should notify you that the app has been installed. For example, a notification can appear in the notification area at the top of the screen.
The installation creates an icon on the home screen. The app will not be added to the application list that is available from the Settings menu on the Android device. On Android, an app is essentially installed as a bookmark.
To start the app, tap its icon.
Uninstalling an app
To uninstall a web application, follow these steps:
- Open Firefox, type about:apps in the URL bar and press Enter. This displays the apps you have installed.
- Touch and hold the icon of the app you want to uninstall.
- On the menu that appears, tap Uninstall.
Getting help, giving feedback and reporting bugs
You can ask questions in these Mozilla IRC channels: #openwebapps for apps and #marketplace for Firefox Marketplace. You can also ask questions on the dev-webapps email list: https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-webapps.
To give feedback on your Android app experience, send email to email@example.com.
To file bugs on Android Web apps, use https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Firefox%20for%20Android and use the Web Apps component.
To file bugs on the Firefox Marketplace, use https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Marketplace.