Persona is no longer actively developed by Mozilla. Mozilla has committed to operational and security support of the persona.org services until November 30th, 2016.
On November 30th, 2016, Mozilla will shut down the persona.org services. Persona.org and related domains will be taken offline.
If you run a website that relies on Persona, you need to implement an alternative login solution for your users before this date.
For more information, see this guide to migrating your site away from Persona:
Because in Persona usernames are email addresses, it's not obvious how you can let your users change their email address. We're working on improving the flow for this and at the moment it is a little awkward, but it is possible if you follow these steps:
- Use an identifier that's independent of the user's email address as a primary key in your internal user table. This can then stay the same when the email address changes.
- Allow users to add email addresses to their account. You'll need to verify the email addresses, which you can do either manually, by sending an email to the new address containing a verification link, or by using Persona itself. If you use Persona to add email addresses, read Adding extra email addresses with Persona.
- Let users sign in with any email in their account.
- Let users delete email addresses.
With these features, users can change their email address like this:
- log into their account using their existing email address
- add the new email to their account
- remove the old email from their account