Before commencing the submission of an app to the Firefox Marketplace it is worth making sure you have all the resources you need to complete the process. This page provides a list of the items needed and links to related information.
To complete the submission of an app to the Firefox Marketplace, you need:
For Packaged Apps
- The app packaged into a zip file, with the manifest in the root.
launch_pathspecified in the manifest.
For Hosted Apps
- Web hosting for the app. For more information, see Options for hosting your app.
- The URL of the manifest file for your app. For more information, see App Manifest.
You can test the validity of your app's manifest before submitting it to Firefox Marketplace , using the Test App Validation tool.
For all apps (required)
For both Hosted Apps and Packaged apps:
- An app name contained in your app's manifest file: There can be a maximum of 128 characters in the manifest, and is prefilled into the Marketplace name field in Step 3 of the app upload process.
- An app description in your app's manifest file: There can be a maximum of 1024 characters in the manifest, and is prefilled into the Marketplace Description field in Step 3 of the app upload process where it can be edited further (the Marketplace version isn't limited in terms of character count.)
- A 128 x 128px icon for display in the marketplace; this is the only mandatory icon size. For more information on how to include icons with your app, see manifest icons.
- A screenshot of your app, at least 320 x 480px in size (see Marketplace screenshot criteria for more guidelines; screenshots can be updated in Step 4 if you need to add more or change them).
- A support email address for your app (entered into the upload app in Step 3).
For Paid apps or app using in-app payments
- If you haven't already created payment suppliers, the details of your bank account(s) including account number, SWIFT code, and address details, and company details such as VAT registration, company registration number, and business start date.
- Ensure you've provided an origin in your app's manifest file if the app included in-app payments.
For all apps (optional)
For both Hosted Apps and Packaged apps, it's recommended that you have:
- Extra screenshots to show the app's main screens. Each submission can have up to 6 screenshots. Ideally you should include a screenshot for each form factor that your app has a distinct layout for, for example:
- Phone: suggested size 320 x 480px, or multiple thereof
- Tablet: suggested size 1024 x 768px or 1280 x 800px
- Desktop: suggested size 1280 x 800px or 1440 x 900px
- Icons in other sizes, and specified in your app's manifest file, for optimal display in other platforms/contexts :
- A 60 x 60px icon for display on the device.
- 32 x 32px, 90 x 90px, 120 x 120px, and 256 x 256px icons for optimal display on various other platforms your app can be installed on, such as Windows 7 and Android.
- The URL of a home page for the app and/or support site for the app. These could be the same thing, or different, depending on your preference (entered into the upload app in Step 3).
- Other optional fields in the App manifest. While name, description and icons are the only required fields, there are many other options, for example:
- You will want include information about other locales if your app is multi-lingual.
- If you do include locales, then the default_locale field is required.
- If you want to use specific restricted device APIs or Web Activities in your app, you will need to include the relevant App permissions or activities in your manifest.
And also ...
... you should:
- Decide if you want your app to go live on the Marketplace immediately after it is approved. The default is for the app to go live immediately. If you don't want this, uncheck Publish my app in the Firefox Marketplace as soon as it's reviewed when you submit your app (selected in the upload app in Step 2).
- Read and understand the Marketplace review criteria (Step 1).