The Nexus S is a "tier 2" platform for Firefox OS. It's not a target, but there is support for it in the build process. Any help on supporting this device is welcome.
It has been reported to work with i9020, i9020A, i9023 and SHW-M200k devices. A bug listing all known issues to support this device is available at https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=b2g-nexuss.
The phone should be usable on a daily basis without any blocking issue. So far, the following is expected to correctly work when building a Gecko 18 (BRANCH=v1-train ./config.sh nexuss) system:
- Placing/receiving phone calls
- Handling MMI/USSD codes (like *#06# for IMEI, *#21# for call forwarding status)
- Sending/receiving SMS
- Taking photos (Gaia repo at the end of this page has specific patch for taking 5Mp photos)
- Recording 480p videos (Gaia repo at the end of this page has specific patch for recording videos)
- Using HSDPA and WiFi (also works with EAP, needs hand-written WPA Supplicant configuration)
- Hardware accelerated video playback (see below)
- USB Mass Storage
- USB Tethering
- WiFi Tethering (see below)
Gecko master is known to be broken. Building for B2G18HD (v1.1HD) should be okay. The gralloc issues are being tracked and documented in bug 950050. There are pending patches that are starting to provide correct support, but any help is welcome.
Bugzilla issue #832653.
WiFi Tethering works, but it seems that WiFi gets somehow broken after disabling it. Either unloading then reloading the wifi kernel driver or rebooting the device circumvent this issue.
rmmod bcm4329 && insmod /system/modules/bcm4329.ko iface_name=wlan0
Use gecko-18-local (and gecko-18-local+hd) branch for the mozilla-central repository, master-local for the others.
You can find a thread about Firefox OS on Nexus S at http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1924367. It should contains pretty up to date and working images.