Much of this content is placeholder material. Please feel free to edit, or email email@example.com if you can provide any information but don't want the responsibility of writing it in human-legible form.
New developer features in Firefox 2
Firefox 2 introduces a vast array of new features and capabilities.
If you see anything missing from this list, or can in any way provide information, please feel free to add it! If there's not a link for a title below, it's a placeholder title until the article is written.
For web site and application developers
- Microsummaries are regularly-updated succinct compilations of the most important information on web pages. Site and third-party developers can both provide them, and users can choose to display microsummaries instead of static titles when they bookmark pages with microsummaries.
- Creating a Microsummary
- A tutorial on creating a microsummary generator.
- Creating MozSearch plugins
- Firefox 2 supports MozSearch, a search plugin format based on OpenSearch.
- Supporting search suggestions in search plugins
- How to make your MozSearch plugin support search suggestions, which appear in a popup box while typing in the search bar.
let, destructuring assignment, generators and iterators, and array comprehensions.
XXX maybe find some more attractive description
- Client-side session and persistent storage allows web applications to store structured data on the client side.
- SVG in Firefox
- Firefox 2 improves Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG) support, implementing the
<textPath>element and adding support for some attributes not previously supported.
For XUL and extension developers
- Session restore API
- Contributing items to be saved and restored across sessions in Firefox.
- Feed content access API
- This API is still being revised; documentation is forthcoming once it's settled down.
- SAX support
- Event-based XML parser API.
- Adding search engines from web pages
- Adding phishing protection data providers
- It's possible to enhance Firefox's phishing protection by adding additional data providers for the safe browsing system.
- Firefox 2 introduces mozStorage, an sqlite based database architecture.
- Best practices for extension versioning
- How to use version numbers to deal with all the different prerelease versions of Firefox 2.
New features for end users
- Inline spell checking for text areas lets you compose with confidence in web forms.
- Microsummaries provide a way to create bookmarks that display information pulled from the site they refer to, updated automatically. Great for stock tickers, auction monitoring, and so forth.
- Extension Manager user interface has been enhanced.
- Search engine manager lets you rearrange and remove search engines shown in the search bar.
- Tabbed browsing enhancements include adding close buttons to each tab, adjustments to how Firefox decides which tab to bring you to when you close the current tab, and simplified preferences for tabs.
- Autodetection of search engines allows search engines that offer plugins for the Firefox search bar to offer to install their plugins for you.
- Search suggestions allow search engines to offer suggested search terms based on what you've typed so far in the search bar.
Security and privacy
- Anti-phishing feature to warn users when the web site you're looking at appears to be a forgery.