Much of this content is placeholder material. Please feel free to edit, or email email@example.com if you can provide any information but don't want the responsibility of writing it in human-legible form.
New developer features in Firefox 2
Firefox 2 introduces a vast array of new features and capabilities.
If you see anything missing from this list, or can in any way provide information, please feel free to add it! If there's not a link for a title below, it's a placeholder title until the article is written.
For web site and application developers
- Microsummaries are a new way web sites can provide quick-reference material to users. Pages for which a microsummary generator exists can be bookmarked into the bookmarks bar with content that updates periodically based on the microsummary specification.
- Microsummaries Tutorial
- A tutorial for how to create a microsummary generator.
- Creating MozSearch plugins
- Firefox 2 supports MozSearch, a search plugin format based on OpenSearch.
- OpenSearch support in Firefox
- Firefox 2 also supports Amazon A9's OpenSearch format for search plugins.
- Supporting search suggestions in search plugins
- How to make your MozSearch plugin support search suggestions, which appear in a popup box while typing in the search bar.
let, destructuring assignment, generators and iterators, and array comprehensions.
XXX maybe find some more attractive description
- Client-side session and persistent storage allows web applications to store structured data on the client side.
For XUL and extension developers
- Session restore API
- Contributing items to be saved and restored across sessions in Firefox.
- Feed content access API
- This API is still being revised; documentation is forthcoming once it's settled down.
- SAX support
- Event-based XML parser API.
- Adding search engines from web pages
- Writing phishing protection extensions
- add a brief summary
- Firefox 2 introduces mozStorage, an sqlite based database architecture.
New features for end users
- Inline spell checking for text areas lets you compose with confidence in web forms.
- Microsummaries provide a way to create bookmarks that display information pulled from the site they refer to, updated automatically. Great for stock tickers, auction monitoring, and so forth.
- Extension Manager user interface has been enhanced.
- Search engine manager lets you rearrange and remove search engines shown in the search bar.
- Tabbed browsing enhancements include adding close buttons to each tab, adjustments to how Firefox decides which tab to bring you to when you close the current tab, and simplified preferences for tabs.
- Autodetection of search engines allows search engines that offer plugins for the Firefox search bar to offer to install their plugins for you.
- Search suggestions allow search engines to offer suggested search terms based on what you've typed so far in the search bar.
Security and privacy
finish this section
Support for open web standards
finish this section