Data Hygiene Tips
- Design your app so that what you actually do with users' data is what users think you are doing with it.
- Try to give the user as much control over their data as you can, such as giving them the choice to opt-in or opt-out of data collection whenever possible.
- Try to limit your data collection and use to only the data that you need.
- Design your app and service to protect the security of your user's data in its collection, storage, and use.
- Respond to user questions and concerns about your privacy practices.
- Avoid "secret" updates.
- Make your use of social features transparent, so that users are aware of when they're sharing data socially.
- Give people a way to turn off automatic sharing or make more granular choices about sharing data.
- Obtain consent from users when necessary, especially for location and other sensitive information.
- Use plain language, but be accurate.
- Be upfront about what kind of data your app uses, and how it uses it.
- If you're storing user data, tell them how long you will keep it and how you will protect it.
- Privacy by Design ( http://www.privacybydesign.ca )