This page is not complete.
In this section of content we'll introduce you to the topic of developing Open Web Apps, and the areas we think are most vital for you to concentrate on when building apps that will not only work across different browsers and devices, but also work well when installed on platforms such as Firefox OS.
App development topics
- Installable apps
- App installation and management APIs, manifest files, packaged and hosted apps, handling API permissions.
- Control data flow
- Setting up the data flow through your application, HTTP basics, Ajax.
- Gather and modify data
- Retrieving data from file, device hardware and key services (e.g. camera, contacts), geolocation, proximity, battery, device orientation, light sensors.
- Control data display and feedback
- Full screen, orientation, system notifications, alarms, vibration.
- Implement user input and control mechanisms
- Mouse, keyboard, pointer lock, touch inputs, drag and drop, and more.
- Work offline
- appCache, localStorage, and IndexedDB.
- Manipulate media
- Video, audio, and images.
- Advanced network communication
- CORS, system Ajax, WebRTC, Web sockets.
- Play games
- Special considerations for game app developers, above and beyond the basics of Web app development, can be found in our Game development zone.
- Utilize User services
- Here we look at APIs designed to facilitate common user services, such as taking payments and login functionality.
- App permissions
- Needs to go inside INSTALLABLE APP SUBPAGE.
- General app development topics
- This page features general app topics, tips and techniques.
- Templates and components
- In this section of our apps docs, we discuss the different templates and components available to speed up app development.
- Porting Chrome apps to open web apps
- This article discusses the differences between Chrome apps and open web apps, and how you can convert between the two.: NEEDS TO GO INSIDE PORTING SUBPAGE
- App development FAQ
- This FAQ is a compilation of answers to all the common app development questions received every week by our Business Development and Partner Engineering teams.
Other key topics
- Porting description here...
- Articles about optimizing Firefox OS applications.
- Web apps architecture
- An overview of the architecture behind the Open Web Apps project's design and implementation. NOT SURE IF WE NEED THIS ANYMORE; WE DO WANT AN APP LIFECYCLE DOCUMENT, WHICH SOME OF THIS CONTENT COULD BE REUSED IN.
- Templates and components
- In this section of our apps docs, we discuss the different templates and components available to speed up app structural development.
- Validating web apps with the App Validator
- The Apps Validator is a tool designed to scan open web apps for problems and invalid code. By using a combination of various techniques and detection mechanisms, the validator is capable of being both efficient as well as thorough. This article explains how to use it. THIS MAY WELL GO INTO THE TOOLS TOP LEVEL ITEM